9/14 is National Pet Memorial Day
Did you know that the second Sunday in September is National Pet Memorial Day? This special day was established over forty years ago by the International Association of Pet Cemeteries and Crematories (IAOPCC) to honor our pets, both past and present, and to recognize the important roles our beloved pets play in our lives.
There are all kinds of pets. Although dogs and cats are the most popular, rabbits, fish, turtles, ferrets, crabs, snakes, hamsters, gerbils, birds, and many other animals fall into the pet category. We grow attached to our pets very quickly, and National Pet Memorial Day is an opportunity to celebrate the lives of our beloved pets and to bring closure to those who are no longer with us.
Ways to commemorate National Pet Memorial Day:
- Spend a few minutes reflecting upon pleasant memories of your pet
- If you buried your pet somewhere, go for a visit
- Contribute to an animal protection group
- Volunteer at an animal protection group
- Create a small memorial in a flower garden in your yard
- Plant a tree or a shrub as a living memorial